Steps of Faith

Steps of Faith

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

First Indo-Christmas


I should probably post our first Christmas before we are finished January.  The pictures here are from our celebrations from home, while the next post will be about our Christmas in Lombok.  

Christmas is celebrated a lot differently here in Indonesia.  North America loves to commercialize Christmas, but that is definitely not the case here.  Some stores in the mall have decorations, but as you walk through the mall it is not everywhere you look.  I imagine that has something to do with this being a predominately Muslim country.  So, we tried to make it feel like Christmas in our own home with our tiny tree and mostly hand-made decorations.  We played Christmas music as much as we could and made Christmas crafts, including snowflakes for our ceiling.  New friends hosted Christmas parties and we enjoyed feeling a part of this community even though we were away from our loved ones.

I felt quite confident entering the Christmas "season" that I was ready to do it without family and friends around.  I was, in a sense, relieved that we didn't have to spend a lot of money on gifts this year, or worry about what to get people.  That pressure was off and it felt good.  However, I was only fooling myself into thinking that I wouldn't miss those dearest to me over the holidays.  Even though we had an amazing time on our trip I felt a piece missing on Christmas day, and then again on New Years.  I think I can speak for Paul in saying that he felt it too.  Our family and friends were missed, but that only makes us treasure the memories all the more and the contact we are able to have with them while we are here.

Here are a few pictures of our first Christmas in Indo!

Decorating the Tree



Homemade Ornaments and Crafts




Nativity Scene
I bought this Nativity Set and the kids had fun rearranging it.



Christmas Programs


Class Christmas Parties

Alana's class performing a song for all the parents.
Opening Presents







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: