Steps of Faith

Steps of Faith

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Unexpected Events

Being overseas when a very dear loved one is ill and suffering is, without question, very difficult to deal with.  Thankfully Paul was able to be with his mom back in February and had some very meaningful time with her.  I was very hopeful as she was experiencing some better days after her extended stay in the hospital, that we would be able to spend time with her when we were back in Ontario this summer. However, after progressively becoming weaker and in more pain, Clara went to be with her heavenly father on Tuesday, April 21st.

Clara was my mother-in-law.  I don't think I could have asked for a better one as she loved me before I even went on my first date with Paul.  It is because of her that Paul and I met and it is because of her meeting me one time at church that I have a husband who makes me a better person.  She was a beautiful lady and took pride in how she looked.  She was a painter, a singer, a story teller, and a wonderful grandmother to her grandchildren.  I will be eternally grateful for the wisdom she passed on to me about the Bierman men and really felt like she could have taught me so much more.  I will always feel like she was taken from us too soon and am heartbroken that we don't have more time with such an amazing woman.



We were all able to make the trip back to Canada to be with family during this time and, although it was a bit hectic getting out of Jakarta, we saw God's grace as he provided for all of our needs.  When I look back to the week I lost my passport, when everything seemed to be going wrong, I knew how everything falling into place in such a short span of time was truly an act of God.

During our time in Ontario, I wanted to capture the moments and memories we would have from this time with family.  I will allow the pictures and captions to tell you of our treasured memories.



While waiting in the Jakarta airport we witnessed one of the most beautiful sunsets we have ever seen.  The sky literally looked like it was on fire.



Upon arriving to Ontario, things were already planned and by day two we were at the church for visitations.  We were able to see friends and family who we have not seen in a long time.  It was a time to catch up, share stories, and mourn our loss together.







The day of the funeral was cold and snowy (yes, at the end of April).  With a very touching message from Paul's dad to his grandchildren, we said our final goodbyes to mom at the cemetery and had a beautiful service at the church in honour of her and the Loving God who she is with.
Keeping warm on a very cold morning.













Our first few days in Ontario were focussed on saying goodbye, but part of the joy of being in Ontario was seeing the loved ones we have missed for so long. As we continued to deal with our grief we made memories with the friends and family who helped us, and continue to help us, through.

Here are some of the more joyous occasions!


SNOW!!  Although the rest of Ontario was crying, we were celebrating!  
A 6 year old got to see an answer to prayer.





Not everyday was cold.  The beauty and warmth of spring caught up quickly.






Time with dearly missed friends...













Time with my family...





Being able to see the effects of the fire of my brother's home made it very real 
as they talked about the night Paul stayed over there and how everything played out.  
God was watching over them, there is no doubt.






























One of my favourites as I see the fear on one face and the pure joy on the other!



Driving through the countryside...






More time with the Bierman family...



Building a birdhouse with Grandpa.
Great conversations on the back deck.











mmmmm.... ribs!

Ecclesiastes 3 sums it very well:

There is a right time for everything.
Everything on earth has its special season.

There is a time to be born
    and a time to die.
There is a time to plant
    and a time to pull up plants.
There is a time to kill
    and a time to heal.
There is a time to destroy
    and a time to build.
There is a time to cry
    and a time to laugh.
There is a time to be sad
    and a time to dance.
There is a time to throw away stones
    and a time to gather them.
There is a time to hug
    and a time not to hug.
There is a time to look for something
    and a time to stop looking for it.
There is a time to keep things
    and a time to throw things away.
There is a time to tear apart
    and a time to sew together.
There is a time to be silent
    and a time to speak.
There is a time to love
    and a time to hate.
There is a time for war
    and a time for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: