Steps of Faith

Steps of Faith

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Settling In

 
I am not really sure what to do with a blog, to be honest.  I feel that, since we are getting settled in our new home, there is not much new to share.  However, I know there are family and friends who are wanting to know what life is like for us here, so my blog may be simple and seem like everyday things, but it is here nonetheless. 
 
You may have noticed I changed the name of our blog as well.  I was never really sure what to call it, but found this suited the blog as we started this journey purely on faith alone.  It was a difficult decision to leave everything we knew and to start fresh somewhere else, so we decided the only way to do this was to trust that God was leading us.
 
So, now we are into the second month of living in Indonesia.  We are settling into some normal routines now that school has started.  Routines work well for the kids and there have been less outbursts of anger as they know more what to expect in a day.  The mornings are early.  We are up between 5:30 and 5:50 to get to school for the 7:00 start time.  We either get a ride in with someone or walk/bike to school.  We have been enjoying the later, but a vehicle will be very welcome for the 1:00 pick-ups, as it is much hotter by then.
 
Vince and Alana are slowly making a few new friends, which is encouraging to see.  Jolene, too, has made a few friends and even got invited to a birthday party already.  Speaking of which, the Indonesians make a very big deal about birthdays.  Vince and Alana have already come home with elaborate (but not very tasty) cupcakes and even treat bags with large snack items in them.  The birthday parties, I've heard, are definitely something to be experienced as they go over and above.  Vince's birthday is coming up this weekend, and our plan is to keep it very simple; no extravagant parties, cupcakes, or treat bags for us.  However, KidZania, I've heard, does not disappoint!
 
Paul is figuring things out at school and is working hard to stay on top of things.  He had his first evaluation done already and many good things were said about his management skills and his teaching strategies.  Nothing but positives, so that is very encouraging for Paul.
 
I have been busy keeping up with the housework, baking, and even trying a few new recipes for dinner (nothing truly Indonesian, yet).  Every Wednesday I look forward to Bible Study with a number of other mom and wives where we get to talk openly and pray together.  It is such an encouraging thing to be amongst so many God-fearing women in one room.  I may be struggling with missing people from back home, but I cannot complain about these amazing women who are so willing to be there for one another.
 
We have been keeping things fairly low-key since school started, but decided this past weekend to go on a little driving adventure with the Huizenga's.  We had plans to make a day of going to Mekarsari, which is a large theme park with a water park and orchards...a little bit of everything.  It was a long, hot, squishy drive to get there and were very excited to finally arrive, only to find out that it was closed for renovations until November.  With 6 disappointed kids, we piled back into the car for our long, hot, squishy ride home.  We were impressed that they were not more disappointed.  We stopped for lunch at McDonald's of all places, just to make up for a disappointing day. 
Unfortunately I am not able to zoom in so that you can see the kids disappointment, but you can tell by their posture that they were not very excited by this uneventful trip to Mekarsari.
 
Just want to make note of some more culturally different things here, some that I find very fascinating:
  • I had to buy some towels and had to pay by weight!
  • Walking around in our neighbourhood, down the street or at the school I see so many workers keeping the lawns, streets, parks, and sidewalks clear of leaves.  This is a daily job and it's amazing how much their work actually makes a difference in the appearance of things.
  • The malls have places for people to wash their feet and pray (Paul may have almost caused a riot had he not noticed the ladies washing their feet just as he was ready to relieve himself).
  • We are something to look at.  Bulas (meaning white ghost), is what they like to call us white people, and we cannot walk through the mall without feeling eyes on us wherever you go and in whatever we are doing.  We stand out and it is hard to be discreet, especially when your daughter is throwing a fit right on the floor of the mall.
  • There are so many little shops along the streets selling a variety of items: fruit and veggies, bikes, hand-made furniture, baskets, pool floaties and white boards (very random, but these were sold at the same little shop), chickens and birds, snacks and drinks, etc.  All these shops have houses in behind where the people live.
 

 
 


A few pics of the kids!

 
A few of Jolene's favourite thing to wear...dresses.  Who would have thought.  I can remember only half a year ago when she would fight with me if I tried to get a dress on her.













One of Alana's favourite things to do is put on ballerina shows for us.  This is one of them.  She was recently able to show Grandma some of her new moves on Facetime.
 
 
four dresses, three shirts and an underwear to top it off!
 
 
Our quiet, calm children!  This is normal for them!
 

Vince has a lot of homework.  We are the first week into it, and he is already not a fan
of having to sit and do it.  However, I am impressed with his ability to work hard,
even if it's hard for him to focus at times.





One of the greatest things about this school is that Vince is able to play on a basketball team and go to practices after school two days a week.  He even gets his own uniform!  They spend an hour and a half each time teaching skills he needs to know to play the game.  He loves playing and learning the game.  It's such a great opportunity for him.


 
 
 

This picture is for Grandma and Grandpa Bierman and for Emerson.  Vince wanted to show you his new wall full of stars, planets, and moons...all glow in the dark! 
 
 
Falling asleep after a drawn out temper tantrum
(due to not having a nap earlier in the day)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: